Blame It On the Can Opener

What are we blaming? The tears of course!

I can look back at this and laugh now, hours later, but man that can opener...

Background: As a wedding gift from my little in Phi Mu, we got an electric can opener. My little could never use the can opener we had in our college apartment and I think this was where this gift came from. The irony of it all is I could never figure out how to use the damn electric concoction. Therefore, anytime I needed a can opened, the hubs would have to do it. I think at one time I had a back up old fashioned can opener, but who knows where my little friend is these days...

So today, I cooked. Oh yeah, I didn't mention that? I've cooked - two days in a row. Ok, maybe it doesn't count as cooking, per se. I made easy mac and microwaved frozen peas last night and tonight I was making spaghetti noodles dressed in butter and cheese and canned corn. So it's not a gourmet meal, but it's a start. I turned on the stove, used a pot and everything!
Anyway, I reach in the cabinet and grab the corn and notice it's not a pop-top.

And the tears start. Oh no! How am I ever going to get my veggie? I can't use the damn can opener!! I must have stared at that ridiculous can for several seconds before slowly heading over to the can-opener corner. We had a stare down. I look him right in the face and held the can out. I whispered a quick prayer to Jonny... Uh babe, if you could help me open this corn, that'd be great. And I began. It took a couple tries but... I GOT IT! I succeeded in opening the corn!

It's crazy the little things that will get to you. My mom lost it over a pack of steak tips in the super market (steak tips were Jonny's specialty). Ahhh the roller coaster in which I live.

27 comments

  1. I can just imagine all the ridiculous stuff I would cry over if I ever lost Jordan. I understand what you mean. You are one strong woman though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! YAY for can openers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I can see how it would make you laugh and cry at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-)

    Yeah...stuff like that tends to happen. Not within the kitchen appliances it's more towards this new pimped out shredder at work. I was standing there for 5 minutes trying to figure it out and I almost started crying because the paper wouldn't shred. It wasn't until I saw that it wasn't plugged in did I start to nervously laugh all the while looking over my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awh! That is sweet =] It's good you can keep the good memories and know he's always there helping you. And if not, well he really thinks that you just shouldn't be eating the corn that night :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on opening your corn! I haven't been able to make coffee since Cpl. Mayhem has been overseas because the damn coffee machine is up way too high for me and he brings it down for me.

    You are doing better than I am, the closest to cooking equipment has been the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so true. For me, it was setting up the sprinkler in the backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...some angels play harps. Yours helps you with dinner. :)

    And we all know that Marines can "open up a can" when they need to! (Sorry, bad joke.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally imagine this playing out. I'm glad he helped you out with that can though ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry. At least you're laughing now..and I've cried plenty of times over silly things. I'm glad you "cooked", doesn't matter what it is!

    Sarah~
    confessionsofasailorswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on getting the can opened! He was standing right over your shoulder helping you out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny...... I wish I could cook for you!! I like to consider myself a master chef :) Not really...but a girl can hope right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a Phi Mu too! Gotta love those gals!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you were able to get the can open! I can't use the electric can openers. I stick to the old fashioned kind. I stand on my platform of Whats so hard about a damn can opener that you must have electric!!! lol.... Stupid device I can't use! :-)

    Man, corn sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When my best friend died, she had left a pair of ear rings in my car, 5 years later those ear rings were in the exact place that she left them. When I sold the car that day, I cried like a baby at the thought of moving them from that place. Crazy I know, but it was just one of those things.

    It's still the simple things that bring the tears back.

    Hope you enjoyed the corn. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on conquering the can opener!!!! And yes...two days of semi-cooking is better than nothing. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you! you show that can whose boss!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always the little things that get me too. But YAY for cooking 2 days in a row - and good for you on conquering that can opener!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't stand those can openers either! I actually threw mine out, and use a hand held one when I need to open something.

    Jonny's ALWAYS with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Man, that's totally something that would get to me if I were in your place. I'll say an extra little prayer for you and your little girl tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  21. aww, I'm sure he was helping you open that can from up there..and maybe laughing at you a little bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on a successful job of opening the corn. lol. you are one tough woman, keep up the good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay for being able to open the corn!! And yay for your angel helping you out!!

    I am a new follower and I love, love, love your blog!! You are truly an inspiration!!

    I have a blog and have an award on there for you!! Check it out if you want!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you got your corn!

    Also a very special hello to a fellow PHI MU! I just realized because of this post you are a Phi Mu! I don't read regularly so maybe thats why. Where did you go to school?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was sweet. I'm glad he helped you out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. There's an award for you on my blog :)
    my URL is http://themrsrea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have an award for you on my blog. Your blog is probably my most favorite to read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a thought with me!

 

Copyright © 2014 | Designed by: Broken Road Creative