Bubba's Belly

I am posting from Tybee Island, Georgia, right outside of Savannah. I'm spending a weekend with 14 of the most awesomest women... fellow military widows. So far, things have been going great. I feel like I've really gotten to just be myself, talk about whatever I want and no one is thinking I'm nuts or judging - in fact many have thought, felt, or did the things I sometimes wonder make me a little on the crazy side. Thank God for fellow widows and how much sanity, comfort, and most importantly friendship I feel from being around them. I'm taking a break from my widow adventures to blog about something really awesome real quick though.

I have met a widow this weekend, Nicki Bunting, who is doing great things. The first great thing, is she worked her butt off to hold the plane for me when I was literally RUNNING through the airport. Luckily I made it before take off, phew.

The second (ok, first time-line wise and priority wise, but hey my first personal encounter was her holding the plane mmk?) and most important thing she is doing is the creation and organization of her own charity. Nicki is the founder of Bubba's Belly Run. Nicki was 4 weeks pregnant when her husband, Cpt Brian "Bubba" Bunting, was killed on February 24, 2009. Nicki started Bubba's Belly Run in 2009 just a few months after Bubba was killed. Last year, the money earned from the run went to the American Widow Project (the awesome org that's sponsoring this fantastic event), Flat Daddies (life-size cardboard cutouts, great for deployments or families of the fallen) and Fisher House. This year, Nicki says the money will be going to American Widow Project, T.A.P.S (another awesome org for support of survivors of fallen service members) and A Soldier's Child Birthday Foundation (which sends birthday presents to children of the fallen).

I am posting today to ask you to check out these causes and consider donating or running in this fantastic cause. The run takes place on September 26 in Potomac Maryland. Nicki says you can also register and run from afar, you can run wherever you are and she'll send you a shirt! It is a 5K or a one mile fun run. She is also selling flags that are displayed along the race route. The goal is to sell one flag per service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Right now, the total count of service members killed is greater than 5,600. Buying a flag would be an awesome way to show your appreciation for the sacrifices each of these service members and their families made for freedom. Please consider checking out her site, this phenomenal widow designed this whole project herself and she's pretty "tits" so please at least stop by her site and definitely consider adding a dollar or two!!

Bubba's Belly Run

More update on my awesome widow weekend later!!

17 comments

  1. Wohoooo I am so excited for all you ladies! Have a blast missy you deserve it. I can't wait to hear all about it. Keep that pretty little head of yours up great things are coming your way!

    Love mama Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting about Bubba's Belly Run! I immediately went to the site when I was done reading. I posted about it in hopes that more people will see it and be reminded to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah! i just registered! my 1st ever run of any kind!!! and im doin it from az! you are such a brave woman! thats all, thanks for posting this. hope you have a good, guilt free, relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great cause. I am glad you have found some support and friendship with these women. I hope you have a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a really wonderful weekend, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to be passing this blog on to 2 of my friends. One lost her husband about 10 months ago in Afghanistan & the other lost her son in the same incident. Thank you for posting these links & I plan on checking out all of the causes mentioned above :) "Keep on, Keeping on"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Tybee! We went this past summer! I hope that you are enjoying your time there! I am going to talk to my soccer team and see if they want to do this run as a team here in Texas! I LOVE what a great cause this is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, let me say that you have a gorgeous baby girl. Second, thank you for sharing this. So many times, people forget that their is a war going is because they are so focused on themselves. Keep being strong for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are great causes. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bought a flag!!!!

    You know... I think she is friends with my cousin Andrea.... I remember her posting about this last year...

    Small world isn't it!!!

    Love you!!! ((Oooh, and I got Ariana the cutest little baptism gift... EVER!!! She is gonna be tits!!!))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very interested in running from afar...since I'm in Florida and can't get up there for the actual event. I don't see on her website where I can register and do it this way. Any way you could help me out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I'm so glad you're having a great time. I hope you were able to go to The Breakfast Club to eat, and also spend lots of time just walking in the warm water.
    Thanks for all these links. I'll share them in a future post. Right now, I"m getting the word out for mental health treatment and have links in a post about that.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! :) That would be incredible to do :) (And Tybee's so fun! I hope you're enjoying your time there!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Ryan and I will do it! We just started working out and getting in shape. I may do the one mile and he will most likely do the 5k. I am looking into it and pushing it to the hubby, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you are there. but honestly I HATE that you have a reason to be there. I know we have never met but this week you have really been on my mind this week. praying for a wonderful healing weak for you

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome cause!

    Thank you for introducing us to it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great thing! I copied the link to your blog up on my blog so that maybe we could share this with people everywhere! Im glad to see that you are doing as good as can be! And I hope your retreat was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a thought with me!

 

Copyright © 2014 | Designed by: Broken Road Creative