Things I Miss

This probably won't be the only time I post something like this, but it'll be the first so...

Today I was just thinking about things I miss. I miss everything about my babe. I miss him more and more each day. People assume it gets easier, but I think that's to the contrary. Actually, talking to fellow widsters, we all feel the same, at least at a point - that it gets worse. Eventually, the guys come home, minus yours. Eventually, reality sinks in (even more) and loneliness hits... 90mph brick wall. The shitty part about reality is it's always there to continue to smack you in the face. Just when you think you're doing "ok," more stuff comes home, or the guys come home, or a song comes on the radio, or you want to tell him something... you get it.

Anyway, as I was saying, I was thinking of the things I miss. And as it is everything, I started constructing a list as different things...

To You:

I miss the way you dance. "Crazy arms" in the car, the "Shush girl, shut ya lips" dance (often in the car as well...), and the silly Porto dance. I always picked on you for that dance, but really I loved it, it was silly and made me laugh, even if I didn't want to be seen dancing with you in public! Just kidding, I loved dancing with you in public. In the house. Anywhere. We were always dancing and singing.

I miss you singing to me. I am thankful I have a few of the songs on the tape, but nothing is as good as the real thing. I miss you singing me to sleep, or over the phone, or over webcam, or just because. You were always singing. I miss how every love song seemed to remind you of me, and you would sing it to me like it were written specifically from you to me. I miss how you took songs like "Fall For You" by Secondhand Serenade, which seemed more about fighting and breaking up, and made it a love song. I remember when you told me that song reminded you of me, you said something like Not the breaking up part, just the falling in love with you over and over again part.

I miss singing to you. I have a horrible voice but you loved it. I still sing to you and so many songs speak to me and I sing them to you babe, but I miss you enjoying it. I miss you singing along, I miss the faces we'd make at the certain parts in the song.

I miss your laugh. I miss your contagious smile. I miss how silly and random you were, we were, together. I miss you getting mad at me because I laugh for hours over a joke that makes no sense to anyone but me. Or even if it did make sense, it was lame (we will, we will... ROCK YOU hahaha that still cracks me up - I'm literally laughing about it right now thinking about it - you were sooo irritated that I laughed about that so long, but I know inside you thought it was funny, too).

I miss your therapy. You know what I mean, when you tried to help everyone out with their problems (think Shannon's wedding). You were incredibly caring, and you didn't want to see anyone unhappy, least of all me. I miss you doing anything in your power to make me happy. Trying to solve any issue I had. I'll get back to this 'miss' later.

I miss your ass. The way you shook it, ha. I miss knowing which Marine you were in a crowd of camis just by the way you walked, the way you moved. I miss the way you move. The way you carried yourself. Confident but not cocky. Powerful yet soft.

I miss watching you talk to the baby. I miss you holding her, even though I never saw it. I miss how in love you were with that little girl. I miss my Poppa Bear. I miss the way you call her Buttons and the excitement when talking about her. She misses you too and she doesn't even know it. I'm going to cut this one short because I just can't... go there...

I miss your kisses. You are hands down, by far, the best kisser in the entire universe. I miss those soft, full lips. They were incredible. Love at first kiss, you said it right baby. If it weren't for your amazing kissing skills, we would not be where we are today - you know it! That's what won me over, it was always funny to think about. You made my knees go weak and then you used to make fun of me for it! I made your knees weak. I miss weak knees.

I miss fighting with you. It may sound weird, but it was part of our life, and like I said, I miss everything. Man, we fought. You were fun to fight with though, when you got mad, your vein would make its grand appearance - your daughter does that, too. I miss the way you'd clench your whole body up and look soooo angry and mean but I was not scared because I knew even though you were mad at me at the time, you wouldn't be later. I miss knowing that no stupid fight could tear us apart. I miss yelling, we were both so fucking loud. Shake the house loud. You never wanted me to leave after a fight. And you would never let me go to bed angry. No matter how angry you were at me, I was still your main concern. I miss your apologies and the way you accepted my apologies. I miss that underneath the superficial reason we were angry, we loved each other enough to talk it out and let it go right away. I miss your love notes.

I miss you holding me. I miss feeling so safe in your arms, how tightly you could squeeze. I miss how warm you always were, letting me stick my feet under your legs because my toes are always cold. I miss that when you held me, it felt like nothing in the world was wrong. I miss the way our legs felt under the covers. I miss the way you played with my hair or stroked my skin. I miss how you were always touching me. You know how much I like being touched and you liked to touch (don't be gross here people, I'm talking regular PG touching).

I miss talking to you. I miss the conversations we would have and the views we would discuss. I miss how different our perspectives were but how they seemed to somehow align. Even though we had completely different life experiences, we seemed to be on the same page about so much, we thought so much alike but expressed it so differently. I missed when we disagreed and could have a debate. I miss being right. I miss being wrong. I miss you suddenly remembering what my uncle told you on our wedding day "Yes dear."

I miss playing video games. I miss wii-ing and taking an entire weekend to play old school nintendo or SNES. I miss how competitive we were. I miss getting beaten, horribly, at wii sword fighting and I miss the occasional times I'd actually win and rub it in your face.

I miss our random excursions. I miss you driving over curbs (every time I do that now I think of you and know you're proud - I used to totally freak!). I miss traveling with you. I miss date nights and weekend outtings. I miss watching movies. I miss you reciting lines from movies. I miss you constantly watching Kung Fu Panda and I Love You Man. I miss cooking for you and how everything I made was excellent to you. I miss trying new recipes.

I miss your pet names. I miss you calling me baby. I sometimes miss "Princess Poopstain" but not all the time. Ok, I miss it all the time. I miss you picking on me, never mean just funny. I miss my pet names, Stink (Stinky, Stinky Man), Jonny Cakes, Portopot, Portopotamus, Poppa Bear... I miss that no matter what new name I came up with you were ok with. But most of all, I miss my Stink.

I miss your love. I miss how much you loved me and how you always let me know. I miss your... physical love as well. I miss your hot bod. I miss you kissing me on the forehead, telling me how beautiful I am, how much you love me, and what a great wife I am. So often I felt I didn't measure up to what you thought I was, but what I thought didn't matter because to you I just was and there was no one in the world better.

I miss all the things we didn't get to do... Vacations, water parks, watching our kids grow old, owning a home, planting gardens, having pets, going camping, traveling, retiring, growing old... all the things so many people take for granted, that are part of a "normal" relationship... that we never got the opportunity to do. I miss them.

I miss how you made everything better. You made me a better person, and my life made sense with you in it. I miss that no matter what the problem was, you could fix it. I miss that you wouldn't allow any thing or any one to get me down, Don't let that bitch bother you baby. I miss you making me happy when I thought I was hitting a low. I miss that you could never fail to make me smile. I miss you fixing things, and I am counting on you to help me get through this, because without you, I don't know if I can do it.

I miss you baby, and I love you more than any word could express. Forever and ever, Babe.

41 comments

  1. such a sweet post, I'm sure your baby girl will be so proud to be able to read your blog later and remember how great her daddy was! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that words can never really help in situations like this, but I want to express my sympathies to you and your daughter. You may not realize it now, but you are such a strong woman and an inspiration to many. Your love for your husband is something that not many people get to know in this life. I will pray for you and yours. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an incredible writer. This post is so sweet. This had me in tears :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!!!!

    I have to echo what Katie said about your daughter reading this, she is so blessed to have such a GREAT father- AND a WONDERFUL mother :)


    Blessings to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sweetie, I hate this so much for you. I can't imagine how anyone could think that you would "get over it" anytime soon.

    Praying for you! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful love letters to your Marine. I feel privileged that you have chosen to share these words with all of us. You always leave me feeling blessed with the things I have and heavy hearted, I know you aren't the only wife out there going through this. Keeping you in my thoughts my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Rachel. For sharing all those feelings, I mean. Hubs and I just got in another stupid little spat, and then I read this post and you put so many things in perspective. I wish you could still be fighting with your Johnny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very touching post. Very sad, and brought tears to my eyes. You and your daughter are always in my Prayers.

    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. This brought many many tears to my eyes, love. I hope one day it does get easier for you! He sounds like he was a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awwww...this was very touching. I'm glad you have such wonderful memories to comfort you as you heal, there is strength in positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man, i'm in tears! That was such a sweet and very honest post. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was so sweet! I can't even grasp how much you must miss him and how bad it hurts. I'm hoping it will get easier for you. Much love....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so, so sad for you that you have to miss all these things. But it is so good that you are putting it in writing now, so you will always be able to go back and remember all the little things about him that made you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post had me in tears. I loved how you expressed your feelings so fully about what you miss about him. You put things in perspective for a lot of us and I'm always praying for you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh goodness.
    Whenever I want to have a good cry, I'll come back to this post.
    Oh, those low points. Oh, the lower ones. There are crests in the valleys. Somewhere.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. =( you're so brave and so proud (naturally)...

    gotta say, thanks for making me cry at work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. also... I noticed you're gold star and the new section for "the Mr."... again shows how strong you are. my heart goes out to you hon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. and, I know you miss the PG-13 and R stuff too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I dont know how you wrote that because I could barely get through reading it (tears). I hate that you have to miss all these things. Portopot is a good one though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is crazy to realize how much people really do take for granted. Your posts always make me cry and laugh at the same time. Your a strong women and your husband is right there by your side in everything you and your baby girl do.

    I was a marine wife (divorced) so I can relate to somethings. I just wish you all the happiness in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Puddles of tears. God bless you and your baby girl as well as your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such an amazing post that I wish never had a reason to be written. Sending all the hugs and strength to you and your baby girl. You are way stronger than you think you are.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Our young Men are strong, because of women like you. This is written in a manner of someone with a needed "dam-bursting".

    I only hope you know how many are out here with an ear and a virtual-hug, ready to hear your that scream.

    As the father of a Marine in Afghanistan, I can only hope his present girlfriend loves him 1% as much as you love.

    God bless you, and give you solace.
    God how I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been reading your blog for awhile..and I remember reading your one blog I think you and someone were getting tattoos finished and then I was busy for a few days and I got on to see what you had been up too and I saw your blog and that your husband had been killed and I cried for you, your daughter and all that you lost..now I read your blogs and am inspired everyday to love my husband more when he is dancing a stupid dance, singing that god awful song..see you remind us what we have still here on earth to cherish..even though your husbands gone I think you both are very lucky what a beautiful love you shared..I know your daughter will always have wonderful "memories" of her daddy from you..god bless you and thank you for being so inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was a beautiful post! God bless you and your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Praying for you and yours. Tears... words fail. Thanks for sharing the letter. Writing helps. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mrs. P & Co -

    I love reading your blogs, I do so religiously .. despite the tears others shed while reading this blog I couldn't help but smile & laugh when it comes to nicknames, fighting, passionately loving, etc. When you met Jonny I could tell along with everyone else that your world had forever changed. You glowed and your love for each other was contagious .. and WILL ALWAYS BE contagious.

    The amount of love in each blog its obvious. Don't be ashamed of missing or wanting, hating and loving .. those are real human emotions and you never have to be strong enough to not feel them. Write as many blogs as you want about missing or loving, etc .. hell sing them if you want to, I'm sure Jonny will sing along. I know Jonny can read them and when Ariana can, she's gonna be so proud of not only her daddy but the amazing woman she has for a mommy.

    I always knew you would be a fabulous mom & you will always be the perfect wife! I miss you so much Mrs. P!

    LIOB,
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  28. Touching, sweet, and tear filled. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. just wanted to let you know, i blogged about my bracelet I wear for Jonny. i linked your blog to the post! just a heads up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a touching & painful tribute to your husband.

    My ex-boyfriend died five years ago & I think, still, all the time about what I miss. How much I miss. What might have come next. And I've never had the courage to write something like this, to put it all in one place & confront it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just want you to know that I can not even imagine what you are going through; it is my absolute worst fear. This was such a sweet post and I related to a lot knowing what you're missing. I'm sending you and your daughter a HUGE hug and all my strength from the MCB in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This post had me in tears! My son is a marine( Hoorah) and currently in afghanistan, and i understand every thought and feeling that you put into your post! Though my son is alive and well ( from what i know) and i dont know what you are going through and pray i never have to, i appreciate the love you have for your husband and wish you only the best for you and your precious baby girl. Prays for your future... Heather ( army wife and marine mom) HOOAH AND OORAH! xoxooxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh I wish I could hug you.

    Thank you for sharing such a personal aspect of your grief so openly. You have have me speechless (which is really rare) and completely in tears.

    PS~I do hate finally seeing the "official" updates on your sidebar and on your info but I love how you chose not to focus on widow but instead "married to an angel." That shows a maturity and courage most of us aren't capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my!! I just can't imagine!! My heart goes out to you and My prayers are going up for you and yor precious baby girl!! You are so special!! Always know that all of us bloggers are here for you and will listen anytime! Blessings from Georgia!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just thought I'd share a song I heard that made me think of you. "Love Lives On" by Mallary Hope. Be sure you only watch it when you can break down and cry. You are always in my prayers. - Amy (Navy wife)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8IJXl_q79w&feature=fvst

    ReplyDelete
  36. I don't know what to say. But you are more amazing than you will ever know. I hope that I never understand what you feel inside but truly your words help me feel your pain. God Bless you, your daughter, and your Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My boyfriend is currently in Marine bootcamp and so many of these reminded me of my man. I don't know you, but I will pray for you. Just remember, right now may seem like a long time, but once you get to Heaven, you'll truly be rewarded for staying on the right path. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a thought with me!

 

Copyright © 2014 | Designed by: Broken Road Creative