My Heaven

I am sure after last night's post you all will be very glad? relieved? thankful? to hear that I had a pretty good day. Pretty damn good.

First, thank you. Thank you all for the support through my rough moment. It's not the first time I've had a moment like that but I think it's the first time (maybe it wasn't, I'm not sure, my memory's shot, but either way...) I really blogged my raw feelings in the heat of the "moment" and instead of being terrified or overwhelmed you all were so supportive and uplifting, I am so very thankful for all the wonderful comments I get from you. Last night, it was like a weight crushing down on me, the weight of reality. And blogging, getting it out, was like physically letting it out, some of it. I also talked to some great friends to help pull through the rough patch. On the norm, I feel sad/angry feelings ebb and flow throughout the day, but then I have what I call my "moments" or "meltdowns" like last night and they are just overwhelming and I am always so thankful to have people close to me, if even through the interwebs, to pull me through. I know I am "entitled" to meltdowns and I know to expect them, but it's also nice to know there are people willing to pull me out. Anyway, this post is not about last night, it is about today, so I shall get on with it!

Today, well today was a fun day. All around, unadulterated fun. First, we went up to Castle in the Clouds in the Ossippee Mountains and went for a trail ride. My cousin and I rode horses through the mountains and enjoyed some great views while Gramma and Ari fed the ducks and waited, spending some good QT now that Gramma is feeling herself again. It was my cousin's first time on a horse "without someone leading!" and she did really well. It felt so good to be back in the saddle again, if only for a trail ride, and I am going to need to make a habit of it. Ya see, when I was 10 years old I started riding. And ride I did, I showed (hunter), I trailed, I went to horsecamps, I owned my own horse... the whole nine. But then I got older and interested more in hanging with friends and being a jerk... I mean a teenager... and it fell to the wayside. It's one passion of mine that I've always wanted to get back into but never been able to find the opportunity. I definitely need to hunt down that opportunity now because it is one thing in this life that makes me feel peaceful and some semblance of true happiness.

(Not my photo)



After that we headed up to Attitash Mountain for more fun! We went with intentions of riding the Mountain Coaster but it was not built yet (boo... the huge billboards failed to disclose that... jerks!) so instead we rode the things they did have. The Alpine Slide, which is a really sweet slide that you ride a little sled on down the side of the mountain. It is sooo sick. You take a ski lift to get to the top then you get on your little sled and you control the speed, and if you're not careful, your sled could leave the slide or flip! It's almost like bobsledding but on a dry slide. SO FUN. I did it 4 times... I'm not a child or anything... My cousin also somehow talked me into going on the water slides with her. I did each one once. While they were fun, the heat of the south has definitely creeped its way into my veins and I was freezing in the 80ish degree weather with the mountain breeze. Brr! We spent about 3 fun filled hours there and then headed home, where I am now blogging and feeling the exhaustion of having gotten out of the house.


(Not my pic)

I did get to do some quality thinking today, too. Ski lifts are so peaceful and the view so intense you can't help but let your mind wander. Two of the times I went on the slide, I went alone (cousin was water sliding and I was not up for any more of that) so I had the ride in silence. While I rode, I thought about Heaven. I mean, hello, I'm riding up the side of a mountain... UP UP UP... Heaven kind of just pops into mind, ya know?

Anyway, yeah, I thought about Heaven. Ya see, I always thought Heaven would be different for each person. In my mind, Heaven is customized to each person's loves and experiences and what nots. Makes sense, right? Why would my Heaven be the same as yours? So, I started thinking about what I'd want my Heaven to be like. I didn't get very far, actually, I didn't get passed the arrival. But, the arrival? Well, I've got it down pat.


(Definitely not my pic)


Here's what I wouldn't mind seeing (Hey God, are you paying attention?). I would really like to ride up to Heaven on a ski lift. I think it'd be the perfect way to get there. No riding on angel's wings, no flying in a jet, I think a ski lift would do the trick. Nice and calm, sitting down watching the world get lower and lower. I would prefer that my ski lift didn't make the scary clanking noises that they tend to do, however. But if it did, it'd be ok because I would know that I couldn't fall out. Oh and my ears wouldn't pop from the pressure either, they'd be normal and ok, because it'd be Heaven's ski lift and pressure wouldn't be a problem at that point. Ok, so then I riiiiiide the lift to Heaven and I'm there. I can't even tell you what it looks like, like I said, I haven't gotten that far. But I know when I get off the lift, I'm not scared of falling, I step off and the lift vanishes or something so I don't even have to keep moving like you normally do. And before me will sit a Coachmen USA or Coachmen America, whatever it's called, bus. It will sit there and I will look at the bus. I will look at it and the door will open. And then I'll see the boots. And the boots will descend down the stairs. And my baby will walk off the bus and welcome me into Heaven. He will hold me in his arms and even though we are both but spirits I will feel his warmth once again. Then we will get onto the bus and head into Heaven to meet God and Jesus and do all of our other Heavenly things, ya know get me all checked in and squared away and what not...

Yeah, that's definitely how I see it goin' down... That's my Heaven.

44 comments

  1. Hi! I'm Taylor. I haven't been following your blog for very long, maybe a couple of weeks. My friend told me about it, and my heart immediately went out to you. I'm a veteran and so is my husband. I want to thank you for your husband's service and all of your sacrifice. This is the most beautiful description of Heaven I've ever heard. I was in tears at the end. You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing Rach... You really are an ah-maz-ing writer. I pictured everything beautifully <3

    By the way, I'm so jealous of your day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing heaven to me! Hope you continue to have a great re with your family! You definitely deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing way to spend the day. Those alpine slides are a blast. Sounds like you had a smile on your face all day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fun day.

    The last part was beautiful. You had me crying as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a pretty good arrival to me! I'm so happy today was a better day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leave it to a military wife to take into consideration that you'd need to in-process into Heaven. :p I like your vision. I like even more that you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! It truly made me smile :) I'm so glad you had a happy day getting back to doing things you love. Fun things! I definitely think you should get back into horseriding. Sounds like a passion that brings you joy and a bit of peace. Your dream about getting to heaven sounds lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing post! I'm constantly impressed by your ability to overcome what you're going through. So proud! Now, this is going to sounds REALLY odd...I'm from FL originally but I went to a wedding once at the Castle in the Clouds! It was over 10 years ago and I could never remember the name! I can't believe you just posted about that place! We stayed in Ossippee, also couldn't remember that name! We walked down some riverbank with the most gianormous and beautiful rocks I've ever seen. I was a total tourist and we were visiting people in Boston...my first trip, I fell in LOVE with Boston! But while we were in Ossippee I had the best ice cream in my entire life...it was at a little building that seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere, I know they made the ice cream right there and they may have even had cows out back?! Now, I know it's a long shot but if you know what I'm talking about I'd love to know the name. My roll of film (that's how long ago this was!)got lost on the trip and I didn't have anything to remember the trip by. I'll owe you a drink for sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your heaven!!! That seems like such a perfect "it" ya know!!!


    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a great day! I'm so glad that you were able to have a great time and as you said, you are entitled to have your meltdowns when you need them.

    Anywho, glad to see you had fun and you got to spend some quality time with family. That's always the best! Glad to hear you're doing better. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, crying is a wonderful way to start the morning right? That was a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that would be a wonderful way to enter Heaven. Your part about " And before me will sit a Coachmen USA or Coachmen America, whatever it's called, bus. It will sit there and I will look at the bus. I will look at it and the door will open. And then I'll see the boots. And the boots will descend down the stairs. And my baby will walk off the bus and welcome me into Heaven. ". I cried. I havent had a real cry in a LONG time, but that to me was a beautiful representation of your love. Thank you for being strong and allowing me to be more grateful for those who protect our country. Even though we are Army, and i KNOW it is different than the Marines, We both [my husband and I] say Hooah to you. You are doing a great job.

    ps. when i talk to my husband about things i read on your blog, he always says "is that the Pink Camo girl?" This gives us a chance to talk about things before they happen. so a big thank you for that opportunity. ♥ Nina

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad you had a better day yesterday. It looks like you had so much fun.

    I could have written your story about riding word for word. I rode hunter jumpers for 10 years. Then in high school was a little to interested in friends and boys, so I sold my show horse and bought a car. I was lucky though. My mom always stayed in the horse world, so I had the ability to go back anytime I wanted which I have several times. Congrats on getting back in the saddle.

    You heaven sounds amazing btw! I love that you ride to heaven on a ski lift. Perfect!

    ~Aly
    www.infertilityoverachievers.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you had a great day. The trip sounds amazing.

    I actually feel bad that I never commented anything yesterday. My words were ripped from my chest while reading your post. But I want you to know that my thoughts and feelings were with you the entire day. I went to sleep thinking about you, your baby, and your husband. You and your story have touched me more than you will probably ever know.

    I love the sound of your heaven. On one hand I wish that you could get there soon, just so you could see him for a moment. But, that would mean we would have lost you and that's DEFINITELY NOT OKAY! So...sadly, that can't happen any time soon. Or at least, I truly hope and wish that it doesn't. Until that moment...many MANY years from now, I keep my fingers crossed that you continue to see him in your dreams. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your heaven sounds beautiful! And I truly hope you find it someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful!

    Glad you're having fun. :) I can totally see you being a biker mama!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So jealous of your mini vaca! I love the mountains! Your version of heaven sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww! You're right around where I grew up! I had an aunt who used to describe Heaven as a feeling of total comfort, happiness, warmth, and peace. Sounds kind of like what you describe. As always, thinking of you and your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. :-)

    Thank you for sharing your version of heaven. While I was reading the last paragraph I followed every sentence with my breath held. I ached in the end because I'm familiar with missing the warmth of the one you love holding you and lying next to you.
    All my love...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so strong and inspirational to us all. Thinking of your and your precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That would be a beautiful way to be welcomed into Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your writing voice, and I pray for you often.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you had a good day. You deserve it. And I like your idea of heaven. I agree that our ideas are all different. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wanted you to know that I gave you an award! You more than deserve it!

    http://adventuresincding.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so glad you were able to ride again. It is SO therapeutic. I also think your heaven is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's a beautiful heaven. My mom died on the 28th of last month and my dad wonders aloud what it will be like to see her again in heaven. Your a beautiful soul and I pray for you often.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is a beautiful heaven. Absolutely amazing. What a wonderful beginning to eternity. Honey, you are a very very gifted writer. Your posts have never failed to touch my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful post! I agree, I think everyone's heaven is different. It amazes me how strong you are. My husband is in the military too, and when I see people like your husband, it scares me so much! Yesterday was the 1 yr anniversary of a good friend of mines husbands death. She continues to amaze me as you do. You are so inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have been reading your blog a little bit recently, and I determined you are from MD, and not just that, but it sounds like you are from Baltimore County. I am from here too, and I had to comment.

    I love your view of entering heaven.....I often think about heaven too. And even though we are spirits, I can't wait to hug and hold people in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Unrelated to this post (well, sort of), but I just saw a short spot on your husband on CNN. Did you catch it? I'm sure you knew it was happening, but wanted to let you know that some readers (at least this one) saw it. My coworkers had stopped to watch it, & it was only a minute in before I realized it was your husband... I thought CNN did a nice job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad you had a better day!!
    ANdrew installed a ski lift at Attitash 2 years ago..probably not the one you were on, but Maybe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's awesome - I'm glad you found peace in horseback riding. You should do it more often! Maybe one weekend visit LOVE VALLEY and just be a cowgirl for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's a beautiful description of heaven. I bet God and your love are up there taking notes. :) Sometimes I like to imagine what heaven is like too, but I've never imagined what it'll be like when I get there; I imagine what my loved ones who've passed on are doing. My grandpa was a cotton farmer, so I picture him on a big golden John Deere, riding through his field of pearly white cotton and never having to worry about getting enough rain again. Maybe that sounds silly, but to me it's comforting. Anyway, I'm glad you had a good day. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mmm. Heaven actually sounds good from here in this armchair reading that. :)

    Please visit Semper Spouses We would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think this is awesome. I've always said my heaven would smell like Starbucks :P But I think that it sounds like you all still have the perfect reunion in store for you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi, I was reading this post, and listening to the music on my computer and this song just came on. I know you have a thing for music, I follow your blog, and I just knew this couldn't be a coincidence. I'm not sure if you listen to or like Josh Groban, But the song was "To where you are". Here is a link to it on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfTlEoVqbE I hope it helps you, not the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I found your blog while jumping from one to another today. Your heaven sounds amazing and I believe it will happen just like that for you when the day comes.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hey,

    I hope that you have had a great vacation with your family! I can't wait to read all about it. :0)

    I passed on an award to you! Check it out here:

    http://lettersarrangedintowords.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-first-awardmake-that-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Mrs. P,
    I'm a fellow military spouse and beginning blogger. I enjoy reading your blog everyday and I was wondering if you would consider doing the same for me.
    http://armylifeadventures.blogspot.com
    If you would add me to your reading list that would be great.
    Thanks,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  41. Rach,
    I liked your version of heaven. I especially liked the part where you saw his boots first before he stepped off of the bus. Another beautiful entry. Keep on blogging babe.

    xoxoxo
    Jessieboo

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a thought with me!

 

Copyright © 2014 | Designed by: Broken Road Creative